Baxter Precinct is the northernmost precinct in Rolette County with the border with CANADA at its northern extreme.
In addition to operating a GENERAL STORE in the Village of St. John and a SUPPLY STORE on Lake Upsilon (Fish Lake), Hubert Brooks had extensive real estate holdings both in Baxter Precinct as well as in Hutchinson Precinct directly to the west.
The Land Ownership Map above shows that Hubert Brooks owned 160 acres at NE ¼ of Section 7, Township 163 N, Range 70 W (which he purchased from Madeline Jeanotte on 18-April-1904) (and which Hubert later sold to good friend Alfred Plante on April 23, 1919 for $1 and "other good and valuable considerations" ) and Hubert also owned 62 acres at NE 1/10 of Section 15, Township 163 N, Range 70 W (which he purchased from Nancy Paul Laviolette on 17-December-1906).
The image above from the May 10, 1900 Turtle Mountain Star newspaper shows that Luce Brooks owned property immediately adjacent to the Canadian border - specifically Lots 1,2,3 and 4 of Section 29, Township 164 N, Range 68 W. (This location is NOT shown on the map above at Range 68 is further to the east.)
In addition to the above land holdings, Hubert owned a house and store in the Town of St. John which is shown below in the ENLARGED MAP of the TOWN OF ST. JOHN (Section 15, Township 163 N, Range 70 W) circa 1910.
According to the records at the courthouse in Rolla, Hubert Brooks owned:
Some futher details concerning the Purchase (BUY) and SALE of these properties are as follows. (One can view the actual document by CLICKING ON THE LINK in the table DOCUMENT column. You may have to adjust the View Zoom size to fit your screen.)
|Date of Purchase|
by Hubert Brooks
|Lot||Block||Document||Sold By||Sale $ Amount|
|Dec 27,1893||9||1||Quit Claim DEED||William Neller||$400|
|Sept 19, 1896||10||1||Warranty DEED||Celanie & Arthur Foussard||$50|
|Nov 28,1899||8||1||DEED Record p233 Doc 3099||Soloman Cauistock||$75|
|Oct 31, 1901||11||1||DEED Record page 55||Emile Croteau||$62|
|Dec 2, 1901||3,5,19,20,21,22||3||DEED Record p 605 doc 5516||S Compstock||$200|
|Dec 2, 1901||4||3||DEED Record page 606 doc 5517||Maurice White||$50|
NOTE: Purchase Deeds for Lots 7, 25 and 26 for BLOCK 1 have not been found to date.
And the sequence of Hubert & Mary (known as Marie again when in Bluesky) selling the properties are as follows. (Again one can view the actual document by CLICKING ON THE LINK in the table DOCUMENT column.)
|Date of Sale||Lot||Block||Document||Sold To:||Sale $ Amount||Comments|
|May 13, 1903||5||3||Warranty Deed 8977||Dr. B Nerret||$125||AJ Bolstad & MJ Bolstad as witnesses|
|Nov 24, 1903||19,20, 21, 22||3||DEED Record page 216 doc 10261||Georgina McManus||$500||AJ Bolstad as witness|
|June 15, 1906||3,4||3||DEED RECORD doc 18807||St. John Improvement Company||$400||A.J. Bolstad the notary public, witnessed by AJ Bolstad and MJ Bolstad|
|Sept 14, 1912||part of N½ NE¼ S15 T163 R70 East of Brooks Addition||15||Indenture Doc 38072||Marie Trombley||$1,000||This was the land from which the Brooks Addition was peeled off of.|
|May 12, 1917||8,9 in Brooks Addition||15||Indenture Doc 50349||H. J. Louis Lacaille||$75||Sold from Bluesky AB|
|Aug 5, 1918||5 in Brooks Addition||15||Indenture 53358||Emery LaCaille||$45||Sold from Bluesky AB|
|Apr 18, 1921||7,8,9,10,11, 25, 26||1||DEED BOOK doc 8879||Philas LeBeau||$500||Sold from Bluesky AB|
To this day there is a section of St. John called the BROOKS ADDITION. From the PLAT image shown below, it is clear that on June 10, 1907 Hubert Brooks donated approximately 18.5 acres of land to the town of St. John. The transaction was witnessd by his son-in-law, Oscar Bolstad -- who was also a Notary Public.
The donated land was henceforth called the BROOKS ADDITION.
Early tax records indicate that there were approximately 34 lots in the BROOKS ADDITION that the Town collected taxes on.
Today the BROOKS ADDITION consists of Lots 1 through 38 of Block 15 and Lots 1 through 26 of Block 17 with St. Ann Street
separating the two Blocks.
It seems that for the BROOKS ADDITION land donation, Hubert peeled off 18.5 acres from the 62 acres that he owned at NE 1/10 of Section 15, Township 163 N, Range 70 W. In 1913 Hubert still owned 3 of these lots. Other tenants at the time included Fred Couture, F. LeBlanc, Leon Allard, A.N. Bourassa amongst others....
Hutchinson Township, also in Rolette County, is located directly to the west of Baxter Township, and also borders Canada to the north.
Hubert Brooks owned 2 properties in Hutchinson Township as well as a SUPPLY STORE on (Big) FISH LAKE (later called
Lake Upsilon) - see A6.4 for photo. The first property was 160 acres from a combination of (South 50% of SE ¼ of Section 14, Township 163 N, Range 71 W)
plus (South 50% of SW ¼ of Section 14, Township 163 N, Range 71 W); and then another 160 acres with property
SE ¼ of Section 26, Township 163 N, Range 71 W.
The Lake Upsilon Supply Store property location description was as follows: "That portion of Wallinder's First Addition to Birchwood Park described as follows, to wit; Begining at the SW corner on the shore line of Lake Upsilon of Lot 46 of Wallinder's First Addition to Birchwood Park, thence running east 115 feet, thence in a notherly direction on the east side of Park Street 280 feet, thence running east 220 feet, thence running south on the West side of Bay Street 114 feet to the shoreline of Lake Upsilon. thence around the shore line of Lake Upsilon to the place of begining, being a part of Lot 1 of Section 10, Township 163, Range 71, containing 2 acres more or less."
Hubert sold the Lake Upsilon property on Sept 9, 1912 to T. J. Dougherty for $950.
A series of NOTICES in the Rolla N.D. newspaper The Turtle Mountain Star between November and December 1912 indicate that, like most businessmen, Hubert Brooks had the the occasional bad debt that he had to collect on. (This also shows some other land that Hubert owned at the time.)
Notice of Mortgage Sale.
As discussed in Section 6, Hubert Brooks also had a SUPPLY STORE and a cottage
a few miles out of town on (Big) FISH LAKE (now named Lake Upsilon).
It is believed that the BROOKS SUPPLY STORE was on the east side of Lake Upsilon just north of where the county park is now located.
Property Sales Records has the Lake Upsilon Supply Store property location description was as follows: "That portion of Wallinder's First Addition to Birchwood Park described as follows, to wit; Begining at the SW corner on the shore line of Lake Upsilon of Lot 46 of Wallinder's First Addition to Birchwood Park, thence running east 115 feet, thence in a notherly direction on the east side of Park Street 280 feet, thence running east 220 feet, thence running south on the West side of Bay Street 114 feet to the shoreline of Lake Upsilon. thence around the shore line of Lake Upsilon to the place of begining, being a part of Lot 1 of Section 10, Township 163, Range 71, containing 2 acres more or less." (see Scetion 8.2 for map)
H. Brooks starting planning his Fish Lake Store early April 1909. The store proper was 20 by 24 feet in dimension. Attached to the store was a boathouse as well as a cottage that the Brooks family used occasionally in the summer months.
Early June 1909, H. Brooks opened his large general store to the public. H. Brooks had Prof. N.D. Fradd in charge of his Fish Lake Store.
H. Brooks had purchased a large 20 foot launch with a 6 hp gasoline engine from the Brooks Boat Company of Saginaw Michigan. The boat was launched July 1, 1909 and considered to be one of the finest boats on the lake.
The Thursday January 11, 1906 edition of the Turtle Mountain Star newspaper had an interesting reference to land at Mountain Home, Idaho that Hubert Brooks had purchased. (Mountain Home is just south east of Boisie on the way to Twin Falls.)
At this time it is unclear as to what Hubert did with the land and whether his intentions were straight real estate investment or if he had some longer term fallback homesteading ideas.
|PREVIOUS PAGE||GO TO TOP OF PAGE FOR
APPENDIX NAVIGATION MENU
The Life and Times of Hubert Brooks M.C. C.D.